Agios Nikolaos – Crete Island
Agios Nikolaos or Aghios Nikolaos (Greek: Άγιος Νικόλαος [ˈaʝos ɲiˈkolaos]) is a coastal town on the Greek island of Crete, lying east of the island’s capital Heraklion, north of the town of Ierapetra and west of the town of Sitia. In the year 2011, the Municipality of Agios Nikolaos, which takes in part of the surrounding villages, claimed 27,074 inhabitants. The town is a municipality of Crete region, and sits partially upon the ruins of the ancient city of Lato pros Kamara.
The modern town of Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos is probably best known as a tourist town that serves as a hub to the twenty or so small villages and farms that make up that part of Lassithi.
Tourism is mainly West European with Greek tourism concentrated in mid August, though there are a considerable amount of Russian vacationers in East Crete.
The lagoon features a small park with a trail, traditional fishing boats, ducks, pigeons, an amphitheatre and many cafès.
The modern city of Agios Nikolaos became internationally well-known during the 60’s, when it was “discovered” by famous cinema directors (Jules Dassin, Walt Disney etc.), BBC producers and many others. It was then that the rapid tourist development of the area started.
During your stay here we recommend you to visit:
• Τhe archaeological museum
• Τhe island of Spinalonga, Just a short ferry ride away from Agios Nikolaos.
• The island of Agioi Pantes that houses a breeding facility for the Cretan wild goat (kri kri).
• Almyros wetland, a passage for migratory birds.
• Istro, 11 km S, is famous for its consecutive beaches at Karavostassi, Agios Panteleimonas and Voulisma (Hrissi Akti).
• Kritsa, 11 km SW, is a picturesque village built on the feet of Mt. Kastellos with a marvellous view to Mirabello bay. Its traditional architectural features are impressively preserved through time. Here was actually shot in 1956 the famous Jules Dassin movie “Christ Recrucified”.
• Pachia Ammos, 20 km SE, is an old commercial port at the junction of Agios Nikolaos-Sitia-Ierapetra.
• Explore the east part of Crete.
We recommend you this Youtube video for Agios Nikolaos