ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF AGIOS NIKOLAOS
The Archeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos was created in order to exhibit finds from eastern Crete, which, until then, used to be carried to the Museum of Heraklion. The exhibition is not in its final form yet, but it covers a long period of time from the Neolithic times to the end of the Greco-Roman period.
The visitor can watch the development of the art of the area over time through representative specimens of various styles and times. The funeral gifts from the early Minoan cemetery of Agia Photia near Siteia (3.000-2.300 π.Χ.) in the first chamber and the findings from the Palace of Malia brought to light by the excavations of the French School of Archaeology in the fourth chamber are considered to be the largest and most important sets. The most famous object is the rhyton vessel known as “the goddess of Myrtos”.
The museum is accessible to people with special needs.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTION OF NEAPOLIS
Τhe Archaeological Collection of Neapolis was created before World War II and within two years included around 1000 items, found mostly in the area of Mirambello and in other sites of the Prefecture.
IERAPETRA ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTION
The museum was founded at the end of the 19th century, during the Turkish occupation. It has been forced to move to different locations on a number of occasions. Today it is housed in the Commercial Ottoman School, which has been declared a listed building, ceded to the Ministry of Culture by the Municipality of Ierapetra.
Minoan art: inscribed Minoan sarcophagi, lamps, late Minoan III vessels (1400-1200 BC), mostly stirrup jars and kraters. Geometric period art (figurines, vases), 9th-8th century BC. Archaic art (mostly figurines and relief plaques). Late 7th-6th century BC Classical and Hellenistic art (vases and figurines), 5th to 1st century BC Greco-Roman art (vases and figurines). Late 1st century BC-4th century AD. Roman period reliefs and statues. Funerary and votive inscriptions from Greco-Roman times.
At the northern entrance of Elounda Bay, at a key-position for the control of the natural harbour, is located the islet of Spinalonga, with an area of 8,5 ha and an altitude of 53 m. The island was fortified in the antiquity, possibly in the Hellenistic period, with a large enclosure. On the ruins of the ancient castle the Venetians built a strong fortress, which was designed according to the bastion fortification system by Genese Bressani and Latino Orsini.
The Cretan State established the isolation of the lepers in 1903 and decided to create a leper hospital in Spinalonga, in order for coordinated help to be available to Hansen patients. The hard life of the patients, who lived on the island until 1957, marked the area as a place of martyrdom and heartbreaking memories.